During the week our breakfast is usually very simple & quick. Eggs & protein & toast. On the weekends we try to do more elaborate breakfasts.
My favorite breakfast to eat of all time is biscuits & gravy. I pick it almost every time we go out for breakfast. I think it is just such a good warming comfort breakfast.
Since I love it so much and want to eat it so often, I decided it was something I wanted to try and make healthier. Full disclaimer here: I CANNOT, I repeat CANNOT make gravy to save my life. I leave that part up to Craig. He is excellent at it. I stick to the biscuits. For the biscuits, I’ve been experimenting with homemade biscuits for a while now. I tried whole wheat flour instead of regular flour. Healthy zero calorie butter instead of sticks of butter. I *think* I’ve finally found a happy medium. I had found an organic, coconut based shortening, that is now my only healthy substitute in the biscuit recipe. Honestly, I cannot even tell it’s a “healthier” shortening.
For the gravy, we used organic turkey sausage crumbled up and for the cream part of the gravy, just use vanilla almond milk. Simple easy changes. I will say the texture of the gravy is a little runnier than average, but I say that’s just a preference for everyone.
I have no nutritional facts for this recipe as it can very from person to person. It will also change depending on what type of milk you use or if you change any ingredients. I hope you enjoy this version of biscuits & gravy as much as we do. Let me know how it is.
Biscuits & Gravy (healthified)
Weekend Breakfast deserve this heart warming recipe
The biscuit recipe makes about 8 biscuits, but the gravy only is enough for about 4 biscuits.
- For the biscuits***
- 2 cups AP Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 cup milk (for best results, use whole milk, if you don’t have whole, low fat milk will work)
- 1/2 cup very cold shortening
- 1 egg
- Whisk together your dry ingredients together.
- I recommend a stand mixer (with a dough hook) or wooden spoon for this part. Slowly add chunks of your cold shortening into the dry ingredients. Mix until all the shortening is covered and your dough looks crumbly.
- Next add in your milk and egg. And mix for just a few minutes, until your dough is no longer sticking super wet.
- Take your dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 5-6 times. Then roll out to desired thickness.
- Cut your biscuits out using a round cookie cutter or whatever cup you have around.
- Cook in a oven that has been preheated to 425 degrees for about 14-16 minutes. The biscuits will be golden on top.
***For the Gravy***
* 1/2 tube of breakfast turkey sausage
* 1/4 cup AP flour
* 1 – 2 cups almond milk (or your preference)
* dash of cayenne pepper
* salt & pepper to taste
- Brown your sausage. As soon as it is brown, dump the flour into the same pan onto the sausage. Mix that around and make a roux.
- Now slowly add in your milk. Here you may not use all the milk listed, or you may use more. This part is totally how you want the consistency to be. Bring this mixture to a simmer while constantly stirring.
- Add in your seasonings to taste. Careful with the cayenne.
- Most important step, now take a biscuit break it in half & pour your gravy on top of the biscuit. Enjoy!