Happy Wednesday friends! Half way there again. Not sure about you, but I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE W.E.E.K.E.N.D. It’s supposed to be hot and sunny, I’m looking forward to a weekend with friends & being outside. So it’s kind of an oxymoron that I’m sharing a recipe most prefer when it’s cold & rainy.
As I’ve stated from the beginning, I’m not 100% healthy all the time. Thank goodness. Not sure how some people do that and not have any cheat food or desserts or ice cream….
I even still roll my eyes & slightly vomit in my mouth when I read a recipe that is completely filled with veggies & chicken. Seriously, who loves to eat that all the time?! Not this gal. Do I force myself to eat more vegetables? Absolutely. Do I still cry like a toddler when I have a serving of green stuff in front of me? Some times. Okay, not a toddler fit, but you get the idea. Anyone else out there stuck in between wanting to be super healthy but still eat “normal”? It’s okay, I’m pretty sure its normal & probably the majority of people.
When my husband brought this recipe below home & told me what was in it, I was VERY skeptical about it. Vegetables, spinach, & tortellinis in soup form? Nah not for me. But I was willing to try it. One of my favorite recipes now. I love to get or make a loaf of bread to enjoy with this. Save this recipe or come back this fall when weather cools down for a good comfort food.
Vegetable & Tortellini Soup
Delicious creamy soup filled with some vegetables & tortellinis
Enter your recipe notes here.
Ingredients*1/2 white onion chopped
* 4 medium sized carrots chopped small
* 1 zucchini chopped small
* 3 cloves garlic minced
* 1 pound Italian sausage
* 1 tbls Italian seasoning
* 1- 8oz can petite diced tomatoes
* 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
* 1/4 flour
* 1 cup heavy cream
* A bunch of spinach (I really don’t know how much we use… just use how much you think is necessary)
* 1 package of tortellini (we prefer the family size cheese, but this is also preference)
- Add your chopped onion & carrots to a large Dutch oven (or large pot) with some olive oil over medium high heat. Cook until starting to get soft. Next add in your zucchini, garlic, and the sausage. Let the sausage cook completely.
2. Once the sausage is browned, add in your Italian seasoning. Also dust the vegetables & sausage with the flour. Now add in your diced tomatoes & chicken broth. Let this come to a simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
3. Now pour un the heavy cream & your package of tortellini. Let this cook for about 5 minutes or until your tortellini is cooked through.
4. Here is where you will add the spinach. Once again, the amount is up to you. I think this the coolest part to watch. Adding a handful of spinach and watching it wilt down to nothing. (yeah, I’m a dork)
5. Once you spinach is wilted down, you are ready to eat.
Per Serving: 500 calories; 33 g fat; 29.5 g carbohydrates;
20.3 g protein; 124 mg cholesterol; 1300 mg sodium.