Anyone else feel like they get into food ruts? I have been feeling that way for a week or so now, especially with breakfast food. Normally for me my breakfast consists of one egg & usually two turkey sausage patties. Lately that just feels a bit old to me.
I also realize that breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day. Eating breakfast helps start your day & gives you energy. (At least that what the internet says.) I tend to eat a pretty small breakfast, like I mentioned above & it usually suffices until 11am, for lunch. I always feel when I eat a less than stellar breakfast, like a last minute frozen Mickey Mouse waffle, I’m hungry with in an hour.
Another thing I’d like to add into my breakfast routine (and overall healthy food) is fruit. I’ve never been a huge fan of fruit unless it’s blended up in a smoothie.
Overnight oats seem to be big thing right now, never been a huge fan of oats either. I always prefered Cream of Wheat. Anyone else have that growing up? One of my favorite breakfasts… I’m going to need to make that soon.
Anyway, I decided to try baked oatmeal for a change. There is always a big bag a of frozen mixed berries in our freezer, so I decided to use that in the baked oatmeal. A quick 10 minute prep & 35 minutes in the oven and this breakfast was ready. This was so delicious, I was super surprised I would like it. Even Craig said it was a winner. The oatmeal portion had a slight cinnamon flavor to it, the mixed berries on top made it taste similar to a berry cobbler. SOOOOO Delicious!
This will add a twist to your typical morning routine. You could even make this ahead of time & bake it. Save it in an airtight container and cut you a piece in the morning. It is delicious after a quick warm up in the microwave the next morning!
Enjoy this mixed berry baked oatmeal.
Mixed Berry Baked Oatmeal
Quick berry baked oatmeal, only sweetened with honey & berries
* 2 cups quick cook rolled oats
* 1/4 cup melted coconut oil (sub butter if needed, just less healthy)
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 2 tsp cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/4 cup honey
* 2 eggs
* 1 cup milk
* A dash of vanilla extract
* 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed berries (you can use your favorite frozen fruit)
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix all ingredients together except the mixed berries. Divide the berries in half. Half of them need to be mixed into the oat mixture. The other half is for the top.
3. Our the oat mixture into a prepared 8×8 baking dish. Spread the remaining berries ontop of the oats.
4. Bake for 35 minutes. Enjoy!